I Had A Dream Last Night That Got Me Thinking About My Journey Into The Unknown.
As some of you know, I have been working on exploring newer, fuller, richer opportunities for myself.
I have taken steps to see a world unfold that I never even dreamed of when I was younger. This exploration of the self, exploring my goodness, and what I could potentially be, are all very new ideas for me.
With That Said, I Feel Like I Am Being Pulled In 100 Different Directions.
I am trying to be a good mother, a good wife, trying to write my next book, run a soul guidance business, and still trying to do my inner work so that I can grow to be the best person that I can be. That’s alot of damn hats to wear. But I can’t give up on my dreams because they are calling me.
I have never been so close to so many possibilities, and I must admit that it scares the hell out of me.
Especially since I feel I am doing it alone. I mean I have support, don’t get me wrong, but alot of my family and friends don’t really support my dream. They support me, but they just don’t really get this whole “want to be a writer” and “soul guidance counselor” type thing. They just don’t get it, and therefore they don’t support it as much as I would like them to.
I don’t blame them though. People have their own lives to live. They can barely navigate their own waters, let alone try to help someone that is wayyyyyyy out there in the ocean, and that has thrown away the oars (lost her mind). That is what they probably think about me chasing what they believe to be a “pipe dream”.
I Almost Followed Someone Else’s Idea Of A Dream The Other Day.
Bless her heart, my sister said to me the other day, “why don’t you become an accountant?” She asked me that question because I was helping her with her taxes – which was a polite way to say, why don’t you get a real job and start making some real money.
The funny part about that story is that I actually considered it for a minute…
How About You?
How many different roles do you play? How many things right now are crying for your time and attention? Do you feel like you are trying to follow your dreams with little to no support? Does it overwhelm you sometimes – like it does to me?
My Dream Last Night Showed Me My Fears So Clearly.
In the dream I was on this beautiful cliff in Antigua about to plunge into this beautiful multi-colored ocean, but the drop was 100+ feet down. I thought I was going to die in the dream so I just stood there on the cliff paralyzed by fear.
Many different thoughts ran through my mind. What if I can’t swim? What if I can’t breathe? What if I am not strong enough to pull myself back up once I plunge into the water?
Isn’t That How It Goes When We Are Getting Ready To Take The Leap Into Different Parts Of Our Experience?
When we’re getting ready to accept a new job or new opportunities, when we are leaving the old stuff behind and moving into the unknown, or when we simply change our minds and move in a different direction.
Fear paralyzes us, and we remain stuck or overwhelm sets in and we feel that we cannot fulfill all these different roles we are being called to play. There are a few things that I want to remind you (and myself) of, because we do have our own answers. The only problem is, we don’t believe that we have the right answers sometimes or we aren’t taking the time to implement small changes that could make a world of difference.
So Here Are The Reminders
- Your desires and dreams matter, and you do not have to push them to the side.
- There is space for all (your family, your desires, relationship wise, etc).
- Don’t penalize yourself for wanting all aspects of your life to work (the relationship aspect, the financial aspect, or the artistry aspect).
- We were created to express many different parts of ourself at once.
- We can decide to marry (commit fully) to those things we love, and divorce (withdrawal our time and attention) from the things that we do not love or care for.
- If you are overwhelmed you can stop for a while. When you return, take baby steps. You don’t have to complete or get everything right all at one time. Stop thinking you have to do everything all at once.
- That “have to finish everything right now” mentality is a perfectionist mindset. Staying in that kind of mindset leaves no room for you to breathe, no room for you to change your mind, or commit errors, and learn from your missteps. Staying in that perfectionist mindset is the quickest way to get yourself overwhelmed.
- Fear is natural, but there is a new you on the other side of fear. Work on standing up for yourself and your dreams little by little. Say yes a little more, and criticize yourself for wanting more – a little less.
Learn To See Your Roles Differently
You obviously are a valuable asset in all of the roles that you play. You just gotta try not to overwhelm yourself with thoughts of being perfect in each role. There is time and space for each one of your dreams. As a matter of fact, all the roles you play, have the potential to bring out the best in you – you just have to see it in that way.
Your not being asked to be perfect. You are being asked to just be yourself – in all aspects of your life – as fully as you know how.
You have your own answers. You know what you love and what you want to invest your time and energy into. Do more of that, and less of what you don’t want to do.
It takes time to cultivate new habits. Especially when you are doing something as scary as following your dreams.
It takes a step here and a step there, faith here and readjusting there, a leap here and holding out there.
There’s no set pattern, but you can find a rhythm that brings you into harmony with all the aspects of your life that you care about the most. Focus on bringing harmony to the elements that you care about the most. It’s not quantity – it’s quality.
When you are with your kids – be with them fully. When you are working on your art – be with it fully. When you are doing the dishes – be with that fully. It takes times to develop the habit of staying in the present moment, but you can do it. I’m rooting for you to be fulfilled in all areas of your life!
P.S. Click Here For Soul Guidance
Thanks for reading!
If you like the post, don’t forget to hit like, comment, share, and subscribe!
Photo Source Credit